H. Garrett Thompson DC, PhD
VP of Academic Affairs
Dr. Thompson is the Vice President of Academic Affairs at Sonoran University, where he oversees academic and clinical excellence, drives innovation, and fosters the growth of the university. He manages the accreditation, licensure, and operations of the academic programs as well as the two campus medical centers and the community health program that serves over 1,000 patients per month. As chief academic officer, he leads a team of dedicated faculty and staff who share his passion for excellence, equity, and student success.
In addition, Dr. Thompson is an accomplished scholar and author, with a PhD in biochemistry, a clinical doctorate in chiropractic, multiple awards, and publications in the fields of biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, tissue engineering, and integrative medicine. He is committed to advancing the field of integrative health through research, education, and practice while fostering a culture of collaboration, diversity, inclusion, and belonging among all stakeholders.
Medical Education Leadership
Health and Wellness, Biochemistry, Nutrition, Integrative Medicine
- B.A. (Biology) – Reed College, Portland, OR
- Ph.D. (Biochemistry) – Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA.
- D.C. (Chiropractic) – Southern California University of Health Sciences, Whittier, CA
- Kadar GE, Thompson HGR, O’Toole E & Kilgore D. (In preparation). Advancing nutrition education through a single interprofessional education intervention.
- Kadar GE & Thompson HG. (2020). Metabolic and Endocrine Dysfunction. In: Integrative Family Medicine. El’Hashemy S. (Ed). CCNM Press.
- Thompson HG. (2019). The Future is Integrative. In: Honoring the Past and Empowering the Future: Thirty essays from thought leaders in the fields of holistic health, integrative medicine, and wellness. Walter S. (Ed). AHHA Press. pp. 57-58.
- Kadar GE & Thompson HGR. (2017). Clinical management of obesity. Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists. Soon to be available at: www.cbns.org
- Kadar GE, Thompson HG. (2017). Assumed or Assessed? The affective domain in healthcare education. Journal of Nutritional Health & Food Engineering. 6(4):00207
- Henriksen M, Zeifman M, Thompson HGR, Beasleigh S, Byrd-Vaughn M, Carino J, Clark B, Connor K, Degroot N, El-Hashemy S, Geyer MK, Guiltinan J, Johnson J, Mitchell J, Olehausen J, Prenguber M, Sanders J, Scotten D, Staruch A & Yanez J. (2015). AANMC Professional Competencies of the Graduating Naturopathic Physician. MedEdPublish. 5:5. http://dx.doi.org/10.15694/mep.2015.005.0005.
- Kadar GE, Vosko A, Sackett M & Thompson HGR. (2014). Perceptions of interprofessional education and practice at a CAM institution. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Oct 7, 1-3.
- Thompson HG. (2009). Biochemistry in a Nutshell: NBCE Part I Board Review. Lulu Press. Available at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/drthompson.
- Global Forum for Education and Learning, Top 100 Leaders in Education 2021-2022