Gena Kadar DC, MS, EdL, CNS
Dean, School of Nutrition
Dr. Gena E. Kadar is the founding dean of Sonoran’s School of Nutrition. Over the past 20 years, she has distinguished herself as a clinician, author, educator, bridge-builder, and innovator of evidenced-based nutrition curricula. She has served as a professor and an academic leader and as a champion of integrative and evidence-based medicine. As a practitioner, she was in clinical nutrition practice for over a decade. As a professor and a higher education administrator and consultant, she led the development, delivery, and assessment of online, blended, and live nutrition curricula and ushered in a new model of interprofessional learning across four distinct clinical disciplines. She has presented her scholarly work around the world, authored the book A Manner of Living, and has a second book forthcoming. She has developed a nutricosmetic product line, published in peer-reviewed journals and textbooks, and led the development of clinical nutrition guidelines on obesity and cardiovascular health management. Dr. Kadar served as a site team member for the Accreditation Council for Nutrition Professional Education and as a key university representative in regional and programmatic accreditation with five different accrediting agencies. She was a four-term elected Faculty Senate President, is a current Member of the American Society for Nutrition, the American College of Nutrition, and the American Nutrition Association, and she serves on several non-profit Boards and Councils. Dr. Kadar has been recognized with awards for her research, service, leadership, and teaching including a teaching award from the Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine at UC Irvine School of Medicine. She is a graduate of University of New England, Southern California University of Health Sciences, and McGill University with additional studies completed at the University of Salamanca in Spain and the Sorbonne, University of Paris.
- University of New England, Master of Science in Medical Education Leadership, 2016
- Southern California University of Health Sciences, Doctor of Chiropractic, 2001
- McGill University, Bachelor of Arts in Anatomy and Humanistic Studies, 1998
- With studies at University of Salamanca and the Sorbonne University of Paris
- Kizhakkeveettil A, Rose K, Kadar GE, Hurwitz E. (2019) An exploratory analysis of gender as a potential modifier of treatment effect among patients in a randomized controlled trial of integrative acupuncture and spinal manipulation for low back pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2019 Mar – Apr;42(3):177-186.
- Recipient of 2017 Conference Clinical Research Award at the ACC Research Agenda Conference.
- Kadar, GE, Thompson, HG. (2019) Obesity bias among pre-clinical and clinical chiropractic students and faculty at an integrative health care institution: a cross sectional study. J Chiropr Educ. 2019 Mar;33(1):8-15.
- Kadar, GE, Thompson, HG, O’Toole, E, Kilgore, D. (2019) Advancing nutrition education through a single interprofessional education intervention. (Publication pending)
- Thompson HGR & Kadar GE. (2018) Metabolic and Endocrine Dysfunction. In: Integrative Family Medicine. El’Hashemy S. (Ed). CCNM Press. (Publication pending)
- Kadar GE, Thompson HG (2017) Assumed or Assessed? The Affective Domain in Health Care Education. J Nutr Health Food Eng 6(4): 00207.
- Kizhakkeveettil A, Rose K, Kadar GE, Hurwitz E. (2017) The effect of an integrative approach of chiropractic and traditional Chinese medicine care on low back pain: a randomized controlled trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. Mar 1. pii: S0161-4754 (16)30077-X.
- Recipient of 2016 Conference Clinical Research Award at the ACC Research Agenda Conference.
- Rose, K, Kizhakkeveettil, A, Kadar, GE. (2017) The effect of chiropractic treatment for smoking cessation: a randomized clinical trial. J Chiropr Med. Mar;16(1):41-48.
- Kadar GE. (2016) Clinical Nutrition Management of Cardiovascular Disease. Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists. (Available at www.cbns.org)
- Kadar GE, Thompson HGR. (2015) Clinical Nutrition Management of Obesity. Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists. (Available at www.cbns.org)
- Kadar, GE. (2014). A Manner of Living: An Evidence Based, Realistic and Sustainable Approach to the Art of Eating Well, Living Well and Being Well for Life, GVPL Publications. 1 ed. ISBN-10: 0692264264
- Kadar GE, Vosko A, Sackett M, Thompson HG. (2014) Perceptions of interprofessional education and practice within a complementary and alternative medicine institution. J Interprof Care. Oct 7:1-3.
- Kizhakkeveettil, A, Rose, K, Kadar, GE. (2014) Integrative complementary and alternative medical care for low back pain: a systematic review, Global Adv Health Med. 3(5):49-64.
Link to PubMed-indexed publications: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Kadar+GE
- American Nutrition Association (ANA)
- American Society for Nutrition (ASN)
- American College of Nutrition (ACN)
- Canadian Nutrition Society (CNS)